Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Other Guy.

As I promised, I will post my first ever English-languaged short story as soon as I finished it. I've already finished the story, and here it is. Enjoy.

One more thing.
Don't take my works, such as short stories, or poem, etc. and claim it as yours. If you want to copy it, it's okay but mention my name as the author, okay? Thanks for your understandings.


The Other Guy

The boy walked down the road, shivering because of winter cold. With only wearing a shirt, a pair of trousers, and a wet hooded jacket, it’s clear that he needed some kind of clothes that can warm his body. Many noticed him, but none helped him, or even intended to do so. They were afraid. He was talking to himself, screaming “Get out of me!” several times. People thought he was some kind of mentally insane kid.

All these years, the boy had suffered from DID, or the Double Identity Disorder. Instead of creating his “other half,” the boy’s “other half” lived inside him. His “other half” is created with his hatred that has been buried deep within the heart of this naturally calm and loving boy named Nick. All his hatred was channeled to the creation of his “other half,” which he called “Jack”.

It’s all started in spring 2003. It’s the first time “Jack” was revealed. His mother was just given birth to a baby girl, and carried her to their house. The next morning, the girl was found dead, and brutally mutilated. Her blood was scattered on the floor, while the words “Hello? – Jack” was written in blood.

Summer 2008, Nick’s mother was found dead, and, like his baby sister five years, mutilated into pieces. Blood was scattered around the house, and “Jack” made much mess in the room. Located on the ceiling, a cryptic message from “Jack” that said “Next. – Jack” was written in blood. Fall 2013, the same happened to Nick’s father. Another message from Jack was written in blood again. This time it said “Goodbye – Jack.” Feared that people would accuse Nick for killing his family, Nick ran away from his house.

Nick never realized that he “is” Jack. Jack never revealed himself to Nick. The only moment that Jack revealed himself to Nick was the day after he ran away from his house. He was walking when suddenly someone said his name, faintly but very clear. Scared, he ran, but he couldn’t escape from the voice. As he ran, the voice became louder, and clearer. At some point, Nick suddenly realized that the voice that called him was his own voice.

“Stop running, Nick. You can’t run away from me, no matter how hard you try, or will try,” said the voice.

“Get out of my head!” screamed Nick.

“And doing that won’t help either,” answered the voice cynically.

“Who are you? What do you want from me?” said Nick, already given up to the voice.

“You really don’t know who I am? Let’s retrace the events, shall we? 10 years ago, some guy killed your baby sister, and for ten years later, here you are, parentless, trying to escape from what you’ve done,” answered the voice.

“Stop it! I’m not the one who killed my family! Jack did!” shouted Nick.

“Hey, are you okay?” asked some guy, who’s been observing Nick for the past minutes.

Without answering the stranger, Nick went to a place where none can see him.

“Of course you didn’t. Jack did. But if we had the tape of the events, none will believe you,” answered the voice.

“What do you mean?” asked Nick.

“You still don’t get it, do you? I am Jack! I am you, at least the part of it,” said the voice impatiently, and with a very loud voice, knocking Nick unconscious.

The nights went by. Nick woke up in a different place, not realizing that he’d been unconscious for weeks. He never recognized the place around him. While walking around the place, he found someone familiar.

“Good, you’re finally awake,” said someone.

“Wait, I know you. You’re that guy from the street,” said Nick, recognizing him.

“The name’s Paul. You?” introduced the guy.

“Nick. Hey, can I get something to eat? I’m starving,” asked Nick.

“Sure. There’s a leftover of soup from last night,” answered Paul.

Nick went to the fridge, and grabbed a bowl of soup.

“You seemed like a mentally disturbed teen when I saw you at the street,” ask Paul. “May I know what happened?”

I won’t tell you. Besides, you won’t believe me if I tell you,” refused Nick.

“Just tell me first. I’m a physiatrist. I deal with all sorts of nonsense,” said Paul.

Many time past with silence. Nick wouldn’t tell his story, and Paul wouldn’t push him either. Deep down, he knew that this boy had much trouble, and he won’t add more problems. Finally, Paul grew impatience, and pushed the boy to talk.

Bad mistake.

“What do you want from me, doc? You’ve just pushed me to the limit. If I said I won’t talk, it means I won’t talk,” said Nick, with different voice. “Jack” has taken control of Nick’s body once again.

He walked to the kitchen. Right from the kitchen, a knife flew right to the doctor’s head, and instantly killed him. Not satisfied, “Jack” mutilated him brutally.

“Jack” has given back control to Nick. Nick didn’t know what happened when “Jack” took control of his body. He was surprised to see Paul’s body and limbs all over the place, with a knife on his hand. Scared, Nick looted all of his food and supplies, and escaped from the house.

“I did what you supposed to do a very long time ago. You only sit back and watch as everyone tells you what to do. You won’t be powerful if you let that happen! All of your schoolmates mock you, making you weak!” screamed Jack from inside Nick.

“Get out of me! Get out of me right now!” yelled Nick.

“I’ve already told you that won’t happen! So shut up or people will see you as a sick person and I have to… Wait, I enjoy that stuff!” said Jack.

“Get out of me! I don’t want to be a killer!” screamed Nick.

“Maybe you don’t, but I do. And I’ve had enough energy to do this. I’ve told you not to yell ‘get out of me’, or this will happen.” said Jack.

After Jack said that, Nick was no more. Nick consciousness is lost in the darkness of Jack’s shadow. After a minute of blackout, I finally awake.

My name is not Nick anymore.


I am Jack.


- A.D.


Comment, like (or dislike). Any criticism will be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment